See yourself learning to
master riding and
forming a partnership
with a horse…
The basics of horsemanship are the same for any breed or event. Once you master them,
you can broaden your horizons to anything you want to do. Our program is an ideal
way to learn because it is based upon forming a partnership with the horse. We have
purposely designed a laid back environment, for the very beginner to the most advanced
horseperson, so that you can be sure you’ll feel comfortable here.
First and foremost,
we will cover safety! Horses have so much to offer us, but none of that matters if
we are not safe. So, from the very beginning, I will show you how to be safe with
horses and we will always, no matter how far you (and I) progress, follow safe practices.
Of course, as with any sport, accidents can happen. But by working with very safe,
quiet, trained horses and never forgetting to practice safe common sense horsemanship,
we can greatly reduce and eliminate injury.
Confidence and safety come from a thorough knowledge and understanding of horses,
how they think and why they react the way they do. At Spur On Farm, that knowledge
starts in the round pen. (A round pen is just what it sounds like a round…pen. It
is a small fenced in area, in which we work with our horses loose without holding
on to them.) In the round pen you will learn how to read a horse’s body language,
how to control him with your body language and begin to form a team on the ground.
just a few highlights of what you’ll learn in your first lessons:
- Learn how to tell when a “spook” is coming and how to prevent it
- The importance of confidence and how you carry yourself around the horses
- The horse’s gaits and natural rhythm
- The absolute importance of control and how to be in it (no matter your size)
- As you begin riding, (usually the 1st lesson) you’ll learn how to become aware and
feel your horse’s movement underneath you and how to move with her not against her
- Exercises to begin to build strength for greater balance
As you progress you’ll learn:
- To maneuver obstacles and practice patterns
- To shift your body weight on the trail to help your horse to balance himself
- How to catch the horse’s rhythm with your seat
- How to form a partnership with your horse
- How to get and keep your horse’s attention and focus on you
- How to control your speed
- How to control different parts of your horse’s body for greater control and to move
to a higher level of excellence
- What is cadence and how to tell evaluate a horse’s movement
Upon participating in the program, you’ll have the in depth knowledge you need to
go fast or slow, ride in precision events, speed events, jumping- English, Western
or trail ride- and be safe and in control at any level you aspire to reach for. Plus,
our program teaches you not only to ride but how to care for horses.
So “earn your spurs”, master the basics and keep progressing, so you can have deeper
friendships and bonds with horses, along with greater control and finally mastery
of the art of horsemanship.
Call and sign up today!